Frequently Asked Questions
We are often asked questions concerning the activities and mission of AmCham, here we address some of those most frequently asked.
1. WHAT IS THE AMERICAN BUSINESS GROUP OF ABU DHABI?
The American Business Group of Abu Dhabi (AmCham Abu Dhabi) is a dues paying member of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and part of the global network of American Chambers of Commerce. We are an independent, private, non-profit association of American companies and individuals doing business in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. AmCham Abu Dhabi exists solely on membership dues and activity fees.
2. WHO ARE THE MEMBERS OF AMCHAM ABU DHABI?
The membership is comprised of American companies licensed in Abu Dhabi or having business relationships in Abu Dhabi; American individuals living in Abu Dhabi; select Emirati companies; and AmCham Affiliates that have proven they can contribute to the mission. Our numbers currently stand at 450+ corporate and individual members and 25% of our corporate members were listed in the latest edition of Fortune 500. Corporate representatives are the highest two executives from each company.
3. WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES OF AMCHAM ABU DHABI?
- To promote commerce, investment and goodwill between the United States of America, the membership, the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and the United Arab Emirates.
- To provide a forum in which American business executives in Abu Dhabi and overseas business executives with American interests may identify, discuss and pursue common interests.
- To work with individuals and organizations in Abu Dhabi on matters of mutual interest.
- To heighten awareness of Abu Dhabi's commercial position in the Middle East and the viability for increased American trade and business opportunities.
4. HOW DOES THE AMCHAM ABU DHABI FULFILL THESE OBJECTIVES?
- Meetings with the U.S. Ambassador and key UAE government officials and bodies to express U.S. business concerns.
- Monthly speaker breakfasts, luncheons and seminars on current business issues.
- Round table discussions focusing on specific industry sector issues.
- Annual volunteer delegation to Washington D.C. to meet with government officials, Congress, NGOs, and think-tanks to advocate AmCham members’ business interests.
- Annual charity event where proceeds are donated to reputable, deserving organizations.
- Advocacy against regressive taxation of expatriates overseas
- Business briefings for visiting businesses and government officials.
- Assistance to U.S. trade delegations and business persons visiting Abu Dhabi.
- Online member-to-member keyword search contact portal via AmCham website
- Maintenance of a library of U.S. directories and trade information.
5. ARE THERE OTHER U.S. BUSINESS INTEREST GROUPS IN THE MIDDLE EAST?
Yes, there are U.S. business groups operating in the Middle East. In addition, there are regional U.S. Business Councils in the Middle East including AmCham M.E.N.A. which we are a member of. AmCham Abu Dhabi is also a lifetime non-voting board member of the US-UAE Business Council located in Washington D.C.
6. HOW CAN I BECOME AN AMCHAM MEMBER OR AMCHAM AFFILIATE?
Please visit the AmCham Website www.amchamabudhabi.org and complete the online pre-qualification, after which the Membership Office will contact you to complete the application process. Applications are reviewed by the membership committee and submitted for approval at the monthly Board of Directors meeting. Dues are charged prorated throughout the year.
PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP @ AED 31,500 (~$8,500) per year - American or Emirati companies that are licensed to do business in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and want exclusive VIP benefits and preferential status.
CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP @ AED 7,500 (~$2,000) per year - American or Emirati companies that are licensed to do business in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
AFFILIATE NON-VOTING CORPORATE @ AED 7,500 (~$2,000) per year - Foreign companies that are licensed to operate in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi or U.S. companies that do not have an established business presence and are looking to establish a branch office or joint venture partnership in Abu Dhabi.
AMCHAM INDIVIDUAL MEMBER @ AED 1,300 (~$350) per year - U.S. citizen individuals who hold a valid UAE residence visa.
AMCHAM CORPORATE EMPLOYEE @ AED 950 (~$250) per year - Individuals whose company is a corporate member may apply for discounted individual membership status.
AMCHAM NON-VOTING AFFILIATE INDIVIDUAL @ AED 1,300 (~$350) per year - Open to non-US citizens who prove they can contribute to the AmCham mission.
50% DISCOUNT MEMBERSHIP @ AED 650 (~$175) per year - Open to U.S. Embassy employees, U.S. Teachers, Active U.S. Military, U.S. Professors/Students, and spouses of AmCham members.
7. WHO MANAGES AND REPRESENTS AMCHAM ABU DHABI?
AmCham Abu Dhabi is managed by an Executive Director and five professional staff. The Board of Directors is elected annually by members and includes four officers and 11 members at large. The Chairman is the spokesperson for the membership. AmCham Abu Dhabi holds an Annual General Meeting and a Strategic Planning Meeting to further develop itself as a leading professional organization.